Inclement Weather Notifications
Methods of Notification
In the event of inclement weather or a school emergency which would result in early dismissal, late arrival of students or the closing of schools, the district will notify the community by:
- Contacting families using the School Messenger notification system which:
- Calls parent phone numbers (home and cell)
- Sends out text messages
- Posting on our WSD Facebook and Twitter sites
- Posting a message on the district homepage at: www.wsdweb.org
- Posting a message on WTV (Wissahickon Television) Comcast Channel 28, Verizon Channel 41
- Contacting television stations (Channels 6, 10 and 29) and KYW NewsRadio
*Please note that we open schools unless you are notified otherwise via the methods above. If you are not receiving notifications the way you prefer via School Messenger, please check and update your contact information (phone & email) in the Sapphire Community Portal. School Messenger uses this contact information for notifications.
If you are not receiving text messages and wish to do so, please text “Y” or “Yes” to our district’s short code number, 67587. SEE MORE DETAILS
- If schools are closed because of inclement weather, all community activities scheduled in school buildings in the evening (including college classes, community athletic programs, and facility rentals) are also cancelled.
- If school is delayed, it will be for two hours. Please add two hours to your normal bus pick up time or normal school start time to determine the delayed start time of school.
- Occasionally, bad weather occurs after school starts, and the superintendent decides to close schools early. Parents should be alert to this possibility and make sure that their children know what to do if they are dismissed early and no one is at home.
- Please note that in the event of an early closing due to a weather emergency, in most cases, the middle schools and high schools will be dismissed first, followed by the elementary schools.
YMCA CHILD CARE PROGRAM
In case of inclement weather, the School Age Child Care Program will be available to all children registered for the program, as follows:
- CLOSINGS: If the district is closed, the YMCA Child Care Before & After School Programs are also closed.
- EARLY DISMISSAL: The YMCA Child Care After School Program will not be operating.
- DELAYED/LATE OPENINGS: The YMCA Child Care Before School Program will not be operating.
SNOW MAKE UP DAYS
Any snow make up dates required will be address as defined by Board Policy 803.