Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
At WSD, we know that high-quality Social Emotional Learning (SEL) programming leads to long-term improvements in students’ skills, attitudes, prosocial behavior and academic performance! That’s why SEL is incorporated into our professional development, teaching and learning and classroom/extra-curricular activities across the district.
What is SEL?
Social and emotional learning (SEL) is the process through which all young people and adults acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to develop healthy identities, manage emotions and achieve personal and collective goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain supportive relationships, and make responsible and caring decisions.
What are SEL Skills?
- Self-awareness – recognizing one's emotions and values as well as one's strengths and challenges
- Self-management – managing emotions and behaviors to achieve one's goals
- Social awareness – showing understanding and empathy for others
- Relationship skills – forming positive relationships, working in teams and dealing effectively with conflict
- Making responsible decisions – making ethical, constructive choices about personal and social behavior