Each & Every Student
What is the district's "Each and Every Student" initiative?
The unwavering commitment of Wissahickon is to meet the needs of each and every student. That will be achieved by focusing on a four-pronged strategy:
- Relationships Matter: We will know something about each and every student.
- Differentiated Instruction: We will meet the learning needs of each and every student
- School Counseling Excellence: We will find the best post-high-school fit for each and every student
- Implement the Achievement Gap Ten Year Attack Plan: We will identify and eliminate barriers to learning
What is the Achievement Gap?
The Achievement Gap is defined as follows: "Students from certain demographic groups are more likely to achieve at lower levels than other students." Data that the district collected and analyzed showed disparities in Classroom Achievement, Standardized Test Outcomes and Program Placement (e.g. enrichment) among different demographic groups.
What is the Achievement Gap Ten Year Attack Plan?
In the 2016-2017 school year, the Wissahickon School District launched a ten-year initiative designed to close the Achievement Gap to meet the needs of each and every student.
The Attack Plan will identify barriers students face and apply different, new ideas to address or remove those barriers, thereby enabling all students to experience success. The district has assigned administrative and faculty teams to research, develop and apply different strategies to attack 10 specific "sub gaps" that are believed to create learning barriers that impede a student's ability to succeed.
These sub gaps will be addressed from multiple angles over the course of a focused ten-year commitment. At regularly scheduled school board meetings beginning February 27, 2017, the co-leaders of the sub gaps will take turns presenting findings from their initial research and meetings.
Click on the Sub Gap links below to view the presentations:
- Communication Sub Gap: View Presentation
- Engagement Sub Gap: View Presentation
- March 2018 Update: View Presentation
- Confidence Sub Gap: View Presentation
- April 2018 Update: View Presentation
- Entrance Sub Gap: View Presentation
- August 2018 Update: View Presentation
- Attendance Sub Gap: View Presentation
- Transfer Sub Gap: View Presentation
- Special Education Sub Gap: View Presentation
- Enrichment Sub Gap: View Presentation
- Behavior Sub Gap: View Presentation