Inclement Weather Notifications
Methods of Notification
In the event of inclement weather or a school emergency that results in early dismissal, late arrival of students or the closing of schools, the district notifies the community via:
- School Messenger phone call, text message and email (For families with students who currently attend Wissahickon schools only)
- WSD Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Pop-up message on the district homepage
- Push notification via the WSD mobile app (please allow push notifications from the WSD mobile app)
- Message on WTV (Wissahickon Television) Comcast Channel 28, Verizon Channel 41
- TV Stations 6, 10 and 29
- KYW NewsRadio - School Closing Number 314
*Please note: schools are open unless otherwise notified via the methods above. Periodically, review your contact information (phone and email) listed in the Sapphire Community Portal as this information is used for School Messenger - our school notification system.
- If schools are closed because of inclement weather, all community activities scheduled in school buildings in the evening (including college classes, community athletic programs, and facility rentals) are also cancelled.
- If schools have a delayed opening, school start time is two hours later. Please add two hours to your normal bus pick up time or normal school start time to determine the delayed start time of school.
- Occasionally, bad weather occurs after school starts, and the Superintendent decides to close schools early. Parents should be alert to this possibility and make sure that their children know what to do if they are dismissed early and no one is at home.
- Please note that in the event of an early closing due to a weather emergency, in most cases, the middle schools and high schools will be dismissed first, followed by the elementary schools.
YMCA CHILD CARE PROGRAM
In case of inclement weather, the School Age Child Care Program will be available to all children registered for the program, as follows:
- CLOSINGS: If the district is closed, the YMCA Child Care Before & After School Programs are also closed.
- EARLY DISMISSAL: The YMCA Child Care After School Program will not operate.
- DELAYED/LATE OPENINGS: The YMCA Child Care Before School Program will not operate.
SNOW MAKE UP DAYS
- Any snow make up dates required will be address as defined by Board Policy 803.