Wissahickon School District is governed by a nine-member Board of Education. The Board operates under the authority granted it by the Pennsylvania Public School Code of 1949; Title 22, Education, of the Pennsylvania Code; and regulations of the State Board of Education. The Board's Meetings are held in accordance with Act 84 of 1986 and Act 20 of 1993 of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Board duties include the following:
- Policy making for school district operations
- Designating the chief executive
- Planning, goal setting and appraisal
- Adopting an annual budget and appropriation measures.
- Exercising its taxing power to provide funds for the operation of the District.
- Considering and passing upon the recommendations of the Superintendent in all matters of policy, appointment or dismissal of employees, salary schedules or other personnel regulations, courses of study, selection of textbooks, or other matters pertaining to the welfare of schools.
- Informing the public concerning the progress and needs of the schools, and to solicit and weigh public opinion as it affects the schools.
Board Goals and Ongoing District Priorities
Public Board meetings are regularly held the second and fourth Monday of every month. These meetings are held at the Administration Office of the Wissahickon School District, 601 Knight Road, Ambler, and are open to the public.
2019-2020: All meetings will be held in the Administration Office, 601 Knight Road, Lower Gwynedd Township. The fourth Monday of the month will be a Work Session Public Board Meeting beginning at 7:00 PM, with the first Monday of the month being a Regular Public Board Meeting beginning at 7:00 PM, unless otherwise posted. In months where there is only one meeting scheduled that will be a Regular Public Board Meeting beginning at 7:00 PM.
All Board Meetings can be viewed on Comcast Channel 28 and Verizon Channel 41. The Board Meetings air on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
The Board Meetings are also available anytime on our on demand channel from your computer. Watch the School Board Meetings OnDemand. Look for the current year playlist (i.e. 2019-2020 Wissahickon School Board Meetings) for a compilation of the school board meeting videos.
Public Comment During Meetings
The Board believes it is in its best interest and the best interest of the students of the District to hear comments from members of the public. It has been, therefore, a long-standing practice of the Board to encourage and allow residents to speak at the public meeting, prior to the Board vote on any agenda item, by notifying the presiding officer. This may be done by completing a blue form available for that purpose at the entrance to the meeting room and giving it to the presiding officer prior to the vote. In the interest of time, each speaker is limited to three minutes; a maximum of five persons may be allowed to speak on each topic. It is necessary for all speakers addressing the Board to use the public address system by stating their name, address, and municipality of residence. It is the policy of the Board not to engage in dialogue with or respond to questions from the audience during the meeting.
All Board meetings are open to the public. During those meetings, the Board may call a closed-door session, called an executive session.