Home and School Association
Welcome to the Home and School Association at Shady Grove Elementary!
The Home & School Association supports many exciting activities at Shady Grove, working closely with the principal, faculty and staff to provide enriching programs for students. There are many ways for parents to be involved!
Pay your H&SA dues quick and easy using PayPal now!
SG H&SA spends approximately $70 per child every year for educational programs, field trip subsidies, assemblies, author visits and more! We hold several fundraisers throughout the year to raise funds and rely on parents to volunteer and participate, but we understand that not all parents have the time to dedicate to these efforts, so we're making it easier to help in a different way. If you'd like to make a donation directly to help support the H&SA, click Donate Now.
2018-2019 H&SA General Meeting Dates
All meetings are held at 7 p.m. in the Library.
- Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Wednesday, November 14, 2018
- Wednesday, January 16, 2019
- Wednesday, March 20, 2019
- Wednesday, May 15, 2019
2018-2019 Events and Activities
- Water Ice Social - Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 6:30 p.m. at the SGES Playground
- Staff Appreciation Breakfast - Thursday, September 13, 2018
- International Night - Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
- Family Math Night - Thursday, October 11, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
- Harvest Fest - Friday, October 26, 2018 at 6:30 p.m.
- Veterans' Day Program - Friday, November 9 at 9:30 a.m.
- Book Fair - Monday, November 19 through Wednesday, November 21, 2018
- Staff Luncheon - Tuesday, November 20, 2018
- Holiday Shop - Tuesday, December 11 through Thursday, December 13, 2018
- Shady Grove Showdown - Wednesday, March 13, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. in the WHS Circle Gym
- Science Night - Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
- Staff Luncheon - Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 11:00 a.m.
- Boosterthon Fundraiser - Tuesday, May 7 through Friday, May 17, 2019
- Boosterthon Fun Run - Friday, May 17, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
- Boosterthon Picnic - Friday, May 17, 2019 at 6:00 p.m.
- Book Fair - Friday, April 1 through April 4, 2019
- Fifth Grade Ice Cream Social - Thursday, May 23, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.
How to Become a Volunteer
There are many opportunities for family members to become involved in their child’s education through the H&SA. If you would like to volunteer, be sure to refer to the requirements below.
To ensure the safety and welfare of students and personnel in the district and to comply with state and federal laws, Wissahickon School District implemented new school volunteer policies, WSD Board Policy #902 and Policy #806, and Guidelines Policy #806.1 related to the Child Protective Services Law and the PA School Code.
- Complete an annual WSD Volunteer Disclosure Statement (for all returning and new volunteers)
- If you are a new volunteer, obtain and submit the following clearances:
- Child Abuse History Clearance
- PA State Police Criminal Background Check
- FBI Fingerprints (Act 114) - Effective November 28, 2017 there is a new provider.
- Enter your service code (1KG6Y3 for Volunteering)
- Complete registration process
- Select a location & appointment time.
- Print the pre-enrollment form to take to your appointment with a check, money order or credit card.
- NOTE: (FBI clearance is not required if you've been a Pennsylvania resident for ten consecutive years prior to the date of your volunteer application and you complete the Volunteer Disclosure Statement)
- Submit WSD Volunteer Disclosure Statement and clearances to the school your child attends.
- Once your paperwork has been processed, you will receive a link via your email to complete an online Child Abuse Recognition Training session. (For new volunteers)
For step by step instructions on completing the requirements
to volunteer, please refer to the Requirements for Volunteering at WSD.
Volunteer Opportunities at SGE
Whether you have a little time to give or a lot, there are many fun and rewarding ways to volunteer at our school including at lunch/recess, the school store, in the library or community garden! Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Sari Fisher (link to email@example.com), if you are interested in finding out more about different ways to get involved.
After School Clubs
The Shady Grove Home & School Association partners with reputable club organizers to provide after school extra-curricular activities for our students. We offer three sessions (fall, winter and spring) and have a wide variety of clubs to meet varying interests. Registration information is printed and sent home for each session, as well as published in our weekly school e-newsletter during the registration window. Two scholarships are available for every club each session.
Support SGE Through Your Purchases
Please consider participating in the programs below and help support the wonderful programs run through the Shady Grove Home and School Association.
Amazon Smile: Shop using Amazon Smile. Select Shady Grove Home and School Association in Ambler, PA as your preferred Charity. 0.5% off all purchases will go to help Shady Grove. http://smile.amazon.com
Box Tops Collections: Send in Box Tops with your Child. Teachers have collections Boxes in their classrooms.http://www.boxtops4education.com
Blue Bell Pizza: http://www.bluebellpizza.com/: mention SGE when you place your order and 10% will be donated back to the school; eat-in, take out & delivery (available to all Shady Grove households)
EScrip: Earn money for Shady Grove and shop with Escrip. http://www.escrip.com
Giant A+ School Rewards: Register your Giant Card. Giant will donate a portion of your purchase to our school. http://giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ School Code: 26406
Hanes for Education: If you order Hanes or Champion T-Shirts (sports teams, business, etc) from a supplier, submit a rebate form to support Shady Grove. Shady Grove will receive $0.10 per shirt http://hanes4education.com/Home.aspx
Bulldog Bytes: Our Home & School Association's weekly newsletter that keeps parents & guardians informed about all that happens at Shady Grove! Sign up today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting to be added to the distribution list.
Executive Board 2018-2019
Co-Presidents: Dawn Lieberman & Caroline Spellman
Co-Treasurers: Donna Marie Greco & Shrita Patel
Secretary: Erin Gabrielle
Volunteer Coordinator: Sari Fisher
Special Programs Coordinator: Stephanie Speece
Communications Coordinator: Stet Haley
Fifth Grade Committee Rep: Kara Frederick
Past Treasurer: Susan Bishop
Wissahickon Teachers and Staff: Apply for a Learning Grant
Driven by a common mission to support ongoing educational opportunities for Wissahickon students, WEOF and our Home and School Associations use a new Common Grant Application to streamline the grant application and approval process. Grants may be submitted by Wissahickon administrators, teachers, counselors, coaches and class/activity sponsors.