WSD Athletics Program Mission Statement
The Wissahickon Athletics Program, as an integral part of our students’ educational experience, is committed to excellence in athletics and is designed for students to reach their highest potential on and off the field. By fostering a sense of spirit and pride within students, staff, alumni and the community, the athletic experience at Wissahickon seeks to instill in each participant a life-long appreciation for diversity, teamwork, perseverance and excellence. With the support of highly knowledgeable coaches who are dedicated to the physical and emotional well-being of our student-athletes, the program embraces good sportsmanship, ethics, character and accountability, and is committed to “Building a Community of Champions” who are prepared to excel, contribute and lead.
Wissahickon Middle School Athletic Director: Keith Thompson
Intramural Sports - Sixth Grade
The intramural sports program offered to all sixth grade students provides physical activities in a safe, fun atmosphere. Participating 6th graders can rekindle old relationships from their elementary school and make new friends at WMS.
Two annual sessions - fall and spring - run 6-8 weeks. The program is offered on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. After school buses are available at 4:20 p.m. for transportation home.
Winter Intramural Calendar
Announcements for sign ups are posted on the morning announcements approximately 2-3 weeks before the sessions begin and are shared with families via Principal Bauer’s Weekly Update email.
For more information, contact Kelly Rosa-Bian.
Interscholastic Athletics - Seventh and Eighth Grades
Paperwork must be completed and submitted prior to the start of tryouts
WMS Sports Eligibility and PIAA Forms
New PIAA and WMS eligibility forms are available under the Forms and Information section below. These forms are also available in Mr. Burke’s office at the middle school.
- Section 6 of the PIAA forms requires that your student-athlete’s physical must be dated on or after June 1, 2020 by their primary physician. This is important to note if your child has his/her annual visit before June 1, 2020.
- All forms require thorough and complete information with ALL parent/guardian and student signatures in order to participate at Wissahickon Middle School.
- All students trying out for a team must complete PIAA Form Sections 1 through 6. Section 6 must be completed and signed by the Authorized Medical Examiner performing the student’s Comprehensive Initial Pre-participation Physical Evaluation (CIPPE) and turned in to the School. Section 6 CIPPE may not be authorized earlier than June 1, 2020 and shall be effective, regardless of when performed during a school year until May 31, 2021.
- All students must submit a WMS Athletic Eligibility Record signed by student and parent/guardian.
- Once PIAA Section 1-6 are complete for a sports season, students trying out for a sport in a second or third sports season must complete Section 7 each season, no earlier than six weeks prior to the first day of practice. If any SUPPLEMENTAL HEALTH HISTORY questions are checked YES, Section 8 Re-Certification by Licensed Physician of Medicine or Osteopathic Medicine must turned in to the school.
- All forms are also available in the WMS Atrium. Completed forms should be turned in to Mr. Burke’s office area. Tryout information is communicated to students via daily announcements, the bulletin board outside the main office, and included in the WMS Weekly Update.
Forms and Information
All students trying out for a team must complete the Beginning of Year Packet, including PIAA Form Sections 1 through 6. Section 6 must be completed and signed by the Authorized Medical Examiner (Doctor, Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner) performing the student’s Comprehensive Initial Pre-Participation Physical Evaluation (CIPPE) and turned in to the school. Section 6 CIPPE may not be authorized earlier than June 1, 2020 and shall be effective, regardless of when performed during a school year, until May 31, 2021.
As a reminder, all student athletes must complete the WMS Sports Physical packet and COVID-19 Return to Activities Agreement form prior to participating. The forms are below or students can pick them up in Mrs. Borkowski's office at any time.
For the FIRST time a student will tryout for a sport in the 2020-2021 school year:
For a SECOND or THIRD season in the 2020-2021 school year that a student will tryout for a sport:
For any student who completed a Beginning of Year packet and sustained an injury treated by a doctor:
New Procedures for WMS Student Spectators
All student spectators must fill out a 2020-2021 Season Pass and turn into Mr. Burke’s office. This pass will allow students to attend ALL WMS sporting events.
Effective immediately, any student who is attending a WMS sporting event must adhere to the following procedures:
- Report to the WMS LGI to meet with Ms. Mehler.
- Sign-in on the After School Spectator Sheet (Name, Grade/Team, Sporting Event, Parent/Guardian Name, Parent/Guardian Cell Phone #).
- Comply with all WMS Code of Conduct Policies and PIAA Spectator Expectations
- Remain at the sporting event until 4:15 p.m. or 5:15 p.m. bus pick-up time or parent arrives for pick-up.
- Students must communicate with parent/guardians about their attendance to a sporting event and to determine transportation home.
Late Bus and Parent Pick-Up Procedures
WMS Water Tower Side: ONLY Late Buses will be permitted to pick up students on the water tower side. There is to be no parent pick-up of students on this side of the building, including the parking lot in this area. We will continue to place cones by the bus entrance to deter parents from parking in the bus lane. The cones are placed out daily at 2:45pm.
WMS Front Side: ONLY Parent pick-up will occur in the front parking lot of the middle school. The front of the middle school and the front bus lane must remain open at ALL times because this provides immediate access in case of an emergency. Parents are to park in the parking spaces available. If the parking lot is full, parents may pick-up on Houston Road along the sidewalk by the baseball field.